Simulation and Innovation Center Tour
On the second floor of the LSU Medical Education and Innovation Center is the 8,800 sq. ft. Simulation and Innovation Center. The Sim Center is equipped to enhance skills of both medical students and residents. Learners can participate in simulated patient scenarios from the professional assessment and history-taking skills of the first-year medical student; to the complex psychiatric evaluation of the behavioral health patient; to the fast-paced emergency assessment, resuscitation and treatment of the critically-ill patient. Our diverse inventory of high-fidelity patient simulators and task trainers help support the practice of critical thinking, clinical diagnosis, and interprofessional team training. The state-of-the-art facility has been designed with several architectural elements aimed to foster a sense of place and develop critical thinking.
The Sim Center boasts some of the most advanced human patient simulators, virtual reality/haptic trainers and procedural trainers available and utilizes advanced audiovisual equipment for high-fidelity patient simulation, clinical skills training and tele- and video conferencing.
Simulation resources include (3) high-fidelity patient simulation labs, (2) flex innovation rooms, (2) flex skills labs, (2) mentor/study rooms, a 12-seat reconciliation room for simulation debriefing and audio/video playback of simulation activities, a 10-seat conference room for synchronous/asynchronous access to lectures between campuses and a unique outdoor teaching terrace for flipped classroom lectures as well as reflection and meditation areas. The unique capabilities of the flex skills labs and innovation rooms allow them to be converted to on-the-fly procedure labs, tailored lecture rooms, and other types of customized space learners require.
about the Sim Center
The Simulation Center Director and Simulation Lab Specialist oversee weekly multi-specialty simulation sessions with both residents and medical students. Equipped with task trainers, residents can hone skills with IV placement and difficult intubations, while our high-fidelity simulators help foster critical thinking during patient case simulation. On-site residency programs supported by the Center are:
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
The Simulation Center also conducts Community Education & Exposure simulation sessions for high school students who want to learn more about careers in medicine and allied health.
The curriculum for each residency program is specifically designed according to program objectives. For example, Emergency Medicine conducts small group sessions for patient case simulation as well as task training sessions for ultrasound, cricothyrotomy, pericardiocentesis, and central lines. Below are all currently supported curriculums.
- Basic & Advanced Airway Management
- Respiratory Management
- Cardiovascular Management
- Trauma Management
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Courses
- Pediatric Care & Emergencies
- Obstetric & Gynecological Care and Emergencies
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Interprofessional Education & Simulation
Simulation activity can be captured via cloud recording and debriefing software across all 7 simulation rooms: (3) high fidelity labs, (2) Flex Innovation rooms and (2) Flex Skills rooms.
- SCENARIO CLOUD is a cloud-based simulation scenario library. Scenario-based training helps identify skills needing improvement that are essential for a team to function together such as communication, behavior, and leadership.
- SIMCAPTURE is a video debriefing and recording system
- SIMPAGING is a two-way communication and audio system
- MEETING OWL is a 360-degree video conferencing device
- AIR MEDIA is a video conferencing and user interface
- MEDIASITE is a synchronous/asynchronous teleconferencing and videoconferencing system
- CRESTRON is an audio & video conferencing system
To learn more about the resources available or to schedule a simulation activity,
Claude D’Antonio, MD
Simulation Center Director
Debbra T. Pogue, PhD APRN ACNS-BC CCRN-K CHSE®
Simulation Lab Specialist
Simulation and Innovation Center
5246 Brittany Drive, 2nd Floor | Baton Rouge, LA 70808