Clinical Skills Lab
- Daryl Lofaso, Ph.D., RRT, CHSE
Skills Lab Course Director
- 2020 Gravier Street, Suite 602
New Orleans, LA 70112
CSI 201 Skills Lab # 1:
IV and Venipuncture
OBJECTIVES/COMPETENCIES: At the end of this lab, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate and review appropriate IV catheterization: indications, contraindications, technique, and equipment.
- Demonstrate and review appropriate Venipuncture: indications, contraindications, technique, and equipment.
- Demonstrate universal precautions and aseptic technique.
- View video on Venipuncture and IV.
Read venipuncture and IV's in the Student Procedure Manual and view video on IV Insertion prior to the session. Also review the PowerPoint presentation on Skills Lab 1, which may be printed out as a handout. Take on-line pre-test prior to the "Zoom" scheduled review: pretest, discussion, and question/answer. After the Zoom session, student groups will attend a scheduled lab session for a procedure demonstration and practice. Students will report to the Skills Lab to demonstrate the procedure/skill on either an anatomical model or patient simulator.
Phlebotomy Training Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKuUPO6NNcU
IV Insertion Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1SCZMO0Gc. Technique works well for hand IV placement.
Helpful Tips when starting IV’s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-_2L08ETs
LSUHSC NEEDLE STICK EXPOSURE POLICY:
DRESS: Comfortable Clothes.