Clinical Skills Lab
- Daryl Lofaso, Ph.D., RRT, CHSE
Skills Lab Course Director
- 2020 Gravier Street, Suite 602
New Orleans, LA 70112
CSI 101 – Skills Lab # 3
Universal Precautions and Surgical Scrub, Sterile Gowning and Gloving
OBJECTIVES/COMPETENCIES: At the end of this lab, students will be able to:
- Review and demonstrate hand hygiene.
- Review the use of isolation gown, glove, mask (N-95) and eye protection when the risk of exposure to body fluid and droplet is present.
- Understand the term “nosocomial infection”; recognize the magnitude of this problem in the U.S. hospitals and the role of handwashing in the prevention of these infections.
- Review LSUHSC Needle Stick Injury policy.
- Demonstration and review surgical hand scrub technique.
- Demonstrate and review the donning of sterile gown, sterile gloves, and the maintenance of sterile field.
- Demonstrate and review the doffing of gown and gloves.
Read the first 10 topics (i.e., Introduction ... Surgical Scrub) relating to Universal Precautions in the Student Procedure Manual. Also review the PowerPoint presentation on Skills Lab 3, which may be printed out as hand out. Take online pre-test prior to the "Zoom" scheduled review: pretest, discussion, and question/answer. After the Zoom session, student groups will attend a scheduled lab session for a procedure demonstration and practice. Students will report to the Skills Lab to demonstrate the procedure/skill on either an anatomical model or patient simulator.
WEB BASED INFORMATION / VIDEOS AND UMCNO Policy:
http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/2007IP/2007isolationPrecautions.html (Isolation Precautions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1sS0ahb4MA (Surgical Hand Scrub)
UMCNO Policy - Surgical Attire and Cleaning (AORN Standards)
For your information: You can download the complete PDF version of “Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings 2007.”
LSUHSC NEEDLE STICK EXPOSURE POLICY:
DRESS: A short sleeve shirt or scrubs should be worn to this session.