Clinical Skills Lab
- Daryl Lofaso, Ph.D., RRT, CHSE
Skills Lab Course Director
- 2020 Gravier Street, Suite 602
New Orleans, LA 70112
CSI 101 – Skills Lab # 2
Assessment of Vital Signs and Pain Scale
OBJECTIVES/COMPETENCIES: At the end of this lab, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate and review pulse assessment in the adult and pediatric patient.
- Demonstrate and review temperature assessment for adult and pediatric patients.
- Demonstrate and review respiratory rate assessment in the adult and pediatric patient.
- Demonstrate and review blood pressure assessment in the adult and pediatric patient.
- Demonstrate and review pain scale assessment for adult and pediatric patients.
Read the vital signs and pain assessment handout and read Bates (13e) E-book link, Chapter 8: General Survey, Vital Signs, and Pain and view video on Blood Pressure Measurement prior to the session. Also review the PowerPoint presentation on Skills Lab 2, which may be printed out as a handout. Take online pre-test prior to the "Zoom" scheduled review: pretest, discussion, and question/answer. After the Zoom session, student groups will attend a scheduled lab session for a procedure demonstration and practice. Students will report to the Skills Lab to demonstrate the procedure/skill on either an anatomical model or patient simulator.
EQUIPMENT: Bring your stethoscope to lab. (not required)
DRESS: Comfortable cloths